Table football is also called Foosball. It is the tabletop game. The goal of the game is to move the knobs to hit the opponent’s gate. There are no fixed rules as it changes from country to country. Origin of foosball goes back to 1921 when Harold Sealers from UK patent the game. Football is a common sport in Europe and Harold wanted everyone to be in touch with the game and play it even at their homes.
A foosball table varies in size as per the choice of the customer. Regular size is 4 feet long and 2 feet wide. The table usually contain 8 rows of foos men made out of plastic, wood or metal etc. Players manipulate the rods to control the figures. Each team may contain two or more players. Tossing the coin decides which team will go first. The winner is determined when one team scores a predetermined number of goals such typically 5, 10 or 11 in the competition.
Foosball can be played by two individuals (Singles) and with four people (Doubles). A goal is scored only when the ball goes in the hole with a spin then it is legal. Each row has foos men which are:
- Row 1 – Goalkeeper – 1 foosman
- Row 2 – Defence – 2 foosmen
- Row 3 – Opponents Attack – 3 foosmen
- Row 4 – Midfeild – foosmen
- Row 5 – Opponents Midfield – 5 foosmen
- Row 6 – Attack – 3 foosmen
- Row 7 – Opponents Defence – 2 foosmen
- Row 8 – Opponents Goalkeeper – 1 foosman.
While playing, there is a possibility that the parts are broken or damaged. There are over 100 foosball tables in the market. There are various Foosball parts and accessories and one should know the quality of these products before replacing it. It affects the game.
Let’s check the various foosball parts and get a better understanding about them.
- Foosball men, players – With the different designs of men, look for the one with a pointed toe and a cross hatching design on the foot for a better ball control.
- Foosball rods – Foosball rods are expensive part of the table. Heavy rods make the game slow and sluggish. Hollow light weight chrome rods provide a smooth glide back and forth between the bearings that provide better ball control.
- Foosball balls – Find the ball that is easily gripped and pinned down against the table with your foosball men.
- Foosball bearings – Quality bearings allow a smooth gliding of the rods. Bearings allow for less friction while moving the rods to and fro.
- Foosball legs – Legs provide stability to the table. Skinny legs make the table less sturdy. Look for the legs that are 3.5 inches by 3.5 inches so that the table is stable.
- Foosball handles – This is the most important part. Different handles offer different grips. A wooden handle is better than plastic handle.
- Foosball wraps – Wraps help you for a better grip and used by many professionals.
- Foosball tubes – They are typically made of rubber and is useful for a better grip. According to the preference and shooting style, foosball wraps are chosen according to their thickness.
- Foosball Table covers – To find the right cover according to the dimensions of the table is a real challenge. One should be careful about the material used.
Having proper lighting above the foosball table is important. Shadow or dim light can ruin the game. Mount a drink holder outside the table so that the liquid doesn’t spill and ruin the table. Make foosball an entertainment that one can enjoy with family and friends and have a great time.